- Read 163 times
Penang Town Hall
The Penang Town Hall is a British-built administrative building in George Town, Penang, Malaysia. It is located adjacent to the Penang City Hall, which now serves as the seat of the Penang Island City Council (Majlis Bandaraya Pulau Pinang). The Penang Town Hall contained an assembly hall, ballroom and library and was the premier social venue for the town’s elite in the early years.
The Penang Town Hall is the city's oldest municipal building. The history of George Town's municipal accommodations began in 1873, when a proposal to construct the Town Hall was first mooted. The construction of the Town Hall commenced in 1879 and was inaugurated in the following year, making it George Town's first municipal building. The foundation stone was laid by Colonel Anson and the building was officially declared open by the Governor of the Straits Settlements, Sir Frederick Weld, in 1880.
The Town Hall housed the local government for George Town, the Municipal Commission of George Town and served as a venue for social events for the European elite. However, the Municipal Commission soon deemed the office space within the Town Hall to be insufficient. Hence, plans were drawn up for the construction of another municipal building right next door.
Today, the Penang Town Hall is mainly used for public events, art exhibitions and as part of the annual George Town Festival in August. It is a Grade 1 Muzium Negara gazetted building under the Antiquities Act and the oldest municipal building on Penang Island. Both the City Hall and the Town Hall are located at Esplanade Road, overlooking the historic parade ground within the Esplanade (Padang Kota Lama). The buildings are also situated within George Town's UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Penang Town Hall is Penang State Government building. Visiting by invitation only.
Trip Suggestion : 15 minutes
Operating Hours : Penang State Government Office Hour
Admission Fee : Visiting by invitation only
Address : Jalan Padang Kota Lama, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia